This week, we uncover Google’s best Android apps – made by Israels. Plus, Forbes’ favorite Israeli female founders, a year later. An Israeli-Singaporean company raises $15 million. And more…
Start getting this weekly newsletter via email: Subscribe now.
Trax raises $15M for in-store shelf monitoring, analysis and technology
Israeli-Singaporean company Trax Image Recognition, which provides in-store shelf monitoring, analysis and technology powered by image recognition, has raised $15 million to expand its global operations with a focus on developing its market share in the US and Europe. In addition, the new funds will allow the company to launch new products and services enabling it to meet the growing requirements of its global manufacturing and retail customers. Learn more.
OurCrowd in the News
- OurCrowd’s Danna Mann discusses investment opportunities in Jerusalem in Times of Israel
- OurCrowd’s portfolio company BillGuard featured in Forbes
- OurCrowd CEO Jon Medved discusses the growing Israeli tech sector with Fox News’ KT McFarland
- OurCrowd’s unique equity crowdfunding platform was featured in Ha’aretz
- OurCrowd’s portfolio company ReWalk featured in Montgomery News
- OurCrowd’s portfolio company enVerid featured in HPAC Engineering
Meet the Israeli startups on Google’s list of 2014’s Best Android Apps
With over 1 million apps available on the platform, Google Play is the world’s largest app store. Each year, Google sifts through the multitudinous apps they offer and puts together a list of the best Android apps of 2014. Among the 75 apps the tech giant has highlighted as the ‘best of the best’ this year in their respective categories, four of them were developed by Israeli companies. See the full list.
One year later, catching up with Forbes’ Israeli ‘female founders to watch’
At the end of 2013, Forbes magazine highlighted “10 Female Founders to Watch out of Israel”. One year later, ISRAEL21c checked in with Orit Hashay (founder and CEO of Brayola) and Liat Mordehay Hertanu (co-founder of 24me) to see if the early hype helped or hindered their paths to success. Listen here.
Faces of the Startup Nation: Q&A with gambling great Eyal Shaked of 888
The owner and shareholder of the successful online gambling corporation, 888 Holdings Ltd, Eyal Shaked is also one of the company’s co-founders. When he’s not enveloped in the world of online gaming, Shaked is a “super angel” investor for early stage to A round startup companies, with a focus on those companies looking to disrupt the world of online gaming and gambling, BI, payment monetization, and marketing. Meet Shaked.
Why Israel is the ideal place to teach entrepreneurs how to succeed
If you wanted to teach a group of high-achieving students to become more focused and passionate entrepreneurs, where in the world would you send them? The Lassonde School of Eng. at York University knows where: Israel. The country, which has a reputation as a growing startup capital, holds an infectious spirit of get-’er-done, live-for-today optimism. 21 Lassonde students spent 3 weeks in Israel, learning essential lessons about business, life and global markets. Here’s the story.
OurCrowd’s News Nuggets
- JNF Blue Box – OUT; Israeli startups – IN (Ha’aretz)
- Israeli tech startups attract Chinese investors (WSJ)
- Top 12 disruptive technologies to watch in 2015 (Israel21c)
- Medivizor wins mHealth Israel startup competition (Financial News)
- 15 Israeli startups getting hot at the turn of the new year (Inc.)
Subscribe for weekly updates about the Startup Nation to your inbox.
See this week’s original newsletter here.