Floods Are the Deadliest Weather Hazard – Weather of Things (WoT) Can Improve Forecasts
New Flood Alerts Cover 500 Million People across Asia, South America, Europe, and Africa
JERUSALEM – March 7th, 2019 – ClimaCell, a weather technology company, announced the deployment of new global flood prediction models and global flooding hazard alerts. Worldwide, floods are the deadliest of all weather-related natural disasters. They are also the most common and are increasingly widespread due to a volatile climate and deviations from expected seasonal weather. Beyond their lethality, floods and inundations can cause major traffic interruptions, from local delays to completely immobilized regions. They disrupt trade at all levels of the economy. Flash floods account for 85% of flooding events and are the most destructive and deadly.
Floods often strike by surprise, with deadly consequences. That’s because traditional flood forecasting relies on river level or rainwater accumulation observation, especially in the developing world. Additionally, limited meteorological and hydrological monitoring infrastructure exists to feed forecasting models due to decades of underinvestment in traditional sensors like radar and weather stations.
ClimaCell proprietary meteorological model leverage network of 500 million virtual sensors to fuel holistic, cutting-edge Hydro-Meteorological platform that accurately predicts when floods will strike, even if they’re flash floods. Solutions are deployed in megacities and cover 500 million lives across Asia, South America, Africa, and Europe.
ClimaCell Flood Forecasting products include the ClimaCell Global Urban Flooding Forecast (CGUFF), the ClimaCell Global Flooding Forecast (CGFF), ClimaCell Seasonal Extreme Weather Forecast (CSEWF), and the ClimaCell Sub-Seasonal Extreme Weather Forecast (CSSEWF). These forecasts are available for consumption in the ClimaCell API or as a stream of location-specific alerts.
More information about ClimaCell Flood Forecasting products:
- Global Urban Flooding Forecast (CGUFF)
- Sends alerts 24 hours before a possible flood event
- Uses by-the-minute precipitation forecasting for the most accurate results
- Global Flooding Forecast (CGFF)
- Provides river discharge and flash flood alerts
- Uses a time/space basin scale for improved accuracy
- Provides superior data using a network of virtual sensors and improved short-term forecasting
- ClimaCell Seasonal Extreme Weather Forecast (CSEWF)
- Estimates future events through impactful data readings
- Predicts the future likelihood of changes in typical seasonal weather
- Allows for better water, energy, and agriculture resource management
- ClimaCell Sub-Seasonal Extreme Weather Forecast (CSSEWF)
- Aim to estimate the changes in the likelihood of a weather event happening within a given week to a month
This announcement was made at the 2019 OurCrowd Global Investor Summit in Jerusalem, the largest technology showcase in Israel with over 170 startups and 17,000 registered attendees.
ClimaCell puts traditional weather forecasting on the spot with new microweather information. ClimaCell is proud to help the world outsmart weather and aims to keep people safer in a volatile climate. Using millions of new observation points from wireless and IoT networks, ClimaCell’s big weather data also provides resilience to emerging technology integrations and blue-chip customers from a cross-section of the global economy. With a different, multi-layered approach and a world-class atmospheric science and data science team, ClimaCell helps people power better outcomes in the face of weather.
Chief Marketing Officer | ClimaCell